In Alaska, there are four options under which you can legally homeschool. Once you have chosen one of the following four options, follow the listed requirements.

Here are the options:

Option 1: Homeschooling under the homeschool statute.

This option allows you to educate your child in your home as long as you are the parent or legal guardian. There are no requirements to notify the state, seek approval, test, file forms, or have any teacher qualifications.

Option 2: Homeschooling with a private tutor.

Children can be instructed at home by a tutor who is an Alaska-certified teacher.

Option 3: Homeschooling with school board approval.

Your child does not have to attend public school if he “is equally well-served by an educational experience approved by the school board.” In order to homeschool under this option, you must submit a written request to the principal or school administrator of the school your child attends and receive a written excuse from school attendance.

Option 4: Homeschooling as a religious private school

1. File a notice of enrollment.

You must file an annual private school enrollment reporting form with the local superintendent by the first day of public school. You must use the Enrollment Reporting Form for School Districts provided by the Department of Education on its website.

2. File the Exempt Religious & Other Private Schools Enrollment and School Calendar forms.

These forms must be filed before October 15 each year with the Department of Education. You must use the forms provided by the department on its website.

3. Maintain monthly attendance records.

Your school must maintain monthly attendance records showing 180 days of school attendance each year.

4. Maintain permanent records.

You must maintain and certify to the Alaska Department of Education that you are maintaining permanent records of immunization, courses, standardized testing, academic achievement, and physical exams. Use the Affidavit of Compliance provided by the department on its website.

5. File a corporal discipline policy.

If your school has children of more than one family, file a corporal discipline policy with the Alaska Department of Education. Use the Corporal Punishment Policy form provided by the department on its website.

6. Do not accept any state or federal funding.

Private or religious schools by definition cannot receive direct state or federal funding.

7. Comply with testing requirements.

Standardized testing is required for 4th, 6th, and 8th grades. Test results must be made available to the Department of Education upon request. The parent may select any nationally standardized achievement test that measures achievement in English grammar, reading, spelling, and mathematics. To learn more, visit our testing and evaluation page.