We can help!

We want to help you find answers to your questions about HSLDA and homeschooling. Use the categories below to help narrow down your search. If you can't find the questions and answers here, don't hesitate to reach out to us at 540-338-5600 or info@hslda.org.


You can find homeschool laws for all 50 states and US territories on our interactive legal map. It provides detailed information about how to homeschool legally in your state, how to withdraw your child from public school, and more.

If you’re an HSLDA member, you can also use our state-specific forms and documents to simplify any homeschool paperwork you may have. Scroll down to the bottom of your state legal page to find your state-specific forms.

HSLDA has state-specific legal forms for members only. On our interactive legal map, click on your state and then scroll down the page until you see a section titled Homeschooling Forms

Membership dues are $135/year, $14/month, or $1,500 for lifetime membership. One membership covers your entire family: parents/guardians and all children of whom you are the parent or legal guardian. There are no additional charges when you consult with our attorneys—it’s all included!

A special discount is available for military members, first responders, pastors, and missionaries.

To learn more about membership, click here.

If you want to start homeschooling during the school year and your child is currently enrolled in a public or private school, HSLDA recommends that you formally withdraw your child from that school. If you are going to start homeschooling after the school year is over, and your child is considered as enrolled for the following year, we recommend that you withdraw your child before the next school year begins so that the school does not mark your child as absent or truant.

We generally recommend that any correspondence with authorities be sent by “Certified Mail—Return Receipt Requested.” Keep copies of the withdrawal letter, any other paperwork or correspondence, and any green postal receipts for your personal records.

Note that local schools may have specific forms or withdrawal procedures, especially if you are withdrawing midyear (for example, you may have to return school computers or other technology). If you are an HSLDA member, you can contact your state’s legal team for more information about complying with these procedures. HSLDA members can also use one of our sample letters of withdrawal to correspond with school officials. You can find the sample withdrawal form for your state through our interactive legal map.

If you’re an HSLDA member, you can log into your HSLDA account at my.hslda.org to contact an attorney directly. Simply click "Get Legal Help" along the left-hand navigation menu and fill out the form.