You must enroll your child in school from the day he or she turns 6 years old, until he or she turns 18.

If your child has not yet turned 18, but is at least 16 years of age and has completed at least the 8th grade, he or she may receive a partial release from the local school board to enter employment or attend a trade school.

If your child has not yet turned 18, but is at least 16 years of age, you may obtain an annual full release from your local school board if your child has completed the work required to graduate from high school, or will receive “proper influences and adequate opportunities for education” through his or her employment.

HSLDA believes that a parent-issued diploma and transcript should be sufficient to demonstrate that a child has completed a secondary education. However, even if your child is beyond compulsory school attendance age, there may be situations where you would want to continue to follow the requirements of a home education option recognized under Utah law until your child graduates from high school (filing a home education notice, keeping attendance and other records, etc.).

These records may be requested in some situations, such as obtaining a driver's license if your child is a minor, enlisting in the military, applying to colleges, or demonstrating eligibility for Social Security benefits.

For more information about these options, HSLDA members should contact us.