When your child reaches his or her 7th birthday, you must begin complying with Kansas's compulsory attendance law.

Once your child reaches his or her 18th birthday, your child is no longer required to obey the school laws. A child can be exempted at age 16 if a simple process is followed, mostly involving the consent of the parents. A child is also exempt from compulsory attendance if he or she has attained a high school diploma or GED.

Note: When you enroll your child in a public school, he or she is subject to compulsory attendance law immediately, no matter what age he or she is, until you withdraw him or her from public school.

HSLDA believes that a parent-issued diploma and transcript should be sufficient to demonstrate that a child has completed a secondary education.

However, additional records that document how you followed the requirements of a home education option recognized under Kansas law until your child graduated from high school (attendance records, subject/textbook records, test results, and other records) may be requested in some situations, such as obtaining a driver's license if your child is a minor, enlisting in the military, applying to colleges, or demonstrating eligibility for Social Security benefits.

If you are a member of HSLDA and would like additional details, please contact us.