Why is it so important? Good records equip your student with proof of education for continuing their education, entering the military, or passing an employer’s background check. It may also prove valuable if there are ever any questions about your homeschool.

We recommend that you follow Missouri’s homeschooling rules and related recordkeeping requirements. If you are homeschooling a child who is younger than 16, you must maintain (but do not need to submit) the following records for the child:

  • A plan book, diary, or other record indicating subjects taught and educational activities engaged in. This requirement can be satisfied by keeping a daily log of hours of instruction. (HSLDA offers a fillable spreadsheet that our members can use to keep a daily log, attached below.)
  • Samples of your child’s work.
  • Academic evaluations. (These could be regular tests in the various subjects, annual standardized tests, etc.)

Alternatively, you can maintain “other written, credible evidence” that is equivalent to the three types of records listed above.

Always have on hand at least two full years' worth of records (unless you are just starting out).

During a child’s elementary and middle school years, you should always have on hand at least two full years' worth of records.  For a high school student, the records (for all 4 years) should be kept indefinitely.

In addition to state-required records, you should keep the following important records for your homeschool:

  • Attendance records
  • Information on the textbooks and workbooks your student used
  • Samples of your student’s schoolwork
  • Correspondence with school officials
  • Portfolios and test results
  • Any other documents showing that your child is receiving an appropriate education in compliance with the law

You should maintain these records for at least two years.

You should also keep your student’s high school records and proof of compliance with the home education laws during the high school years (including any type of home education notice that you file with state or local officials) on file forever.