If you are homeschooling a child with special needs, you need to follow your state’s homeschool regulations. There are no additional requirements for homeschooling children with special needs.

Auxiliary services* are available to families who are homeschooling under the nonpublic school option. State law entitles nonpublic school students to access auxiliary services on an equal basis with public school students. M.C.L.A. 380.1296.

“The board of a local school district shall provide special education programs and services designed to meet the individual needs of each student with a disability in its district on record under section 1711 for whom an appropriate educational or training program can be provided in accordance with the intermediate school district special education plan …" M.C.L.A. 380.1751(1). It is the Michigan Department of Education’s policy to provide special education services to students of public and nonpublic schools only.

*These include health and nursing services and examinations, street crossing guard services, national defense education act testing services, teacher speech and language services, school social work services, school psychological services, teacher consultant services for students with a disability and other ancillary services for students with a disability, and remedial reading.

Note: As you decide what kind of special needs services and therapy best meet your child’s needs, we want you to know that HSLDA Compassion Curriculum Grants are available to help with diagnostic services, therapy, curriculum, or other educational materials.