Children between the ages of 6 (if reached by September 30 of the current school year) and 18, unless graduated, must attend a public or approved private school or comply with the homeschool law.

If you graduate your child from your homeschool program before he or she turns 18, you can submit a certificate or a letter to the New Hampshire Department of Education that will exempt your child from the compulsory attendance law. HSLDA members may use the model letter provided below.

HSLDA believes that a parent-issued diploma and transcript should be sufficient to demonstrate that a child has completed a secondary education. However, even if your child is beyond compulsory school attendance age, there may be situations where you would want to continue to follow the requirements of a home education option recognized under New Hampshire law until your child graduates from high school (filing a home education notice, keeping attendance and other records, etc.).

These records may be requested in some situations, such as obtaining a driver's license if your child is a minor, enlisting in the military, applying to colleges, or demonstrating eligibility for Social Security benefits. If you are a member of HSLDA and would like additional details, please contact us.