If you are homeschooling a child with special needs, you need to follow your state’s homeschool regulations, along with the additional requirements below.

About 90% of funding for public school special education programs comes from the state—not the federal government. Although the federal government will not allow its Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) money to go to homeschoolers in “homeschool law states,” the states can distribute their 90% in any way they choose. If your state has enacted laws that provide services to “homeschool” students, these provisions are summarized below.

Each home study enrollment notice must include “independent professional evidence” that the child is not handicapped. 16 V.S.A. § 166b(4). If the child is handicapped, the enrollment notice must include any special services or adaptations to be made to accommodate any handicapping condition. 16 V.S.A. § 166b(5).

School districts have been known to provide special education funding services to homeschooled students on a case by case basis.

Note: As you decide what kind of special needs services and therapy best meet your child’s needs, we want you to know that HSLDA Compassion Curriculum Grants are available to help with diagnostic services, therapy, curriculum, or other educational materials.