If you are homeschooling a child with special needs, you need to follow your state’s homeschool regulations, along with the additional requirements below.

About 90% of funding for public school special education programs comes from the state—not the federal government. Although the federal government will not allow its Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) money to go to homeschoolers in “homeschool law states,” the states can distribute their 90% in any way they choose. If your state has enacted laws that provide services to “homeschool” students, these provisions are summarized below.

Pursuant to the enactment of SF 496, as of July 1, 2023, a parent with a child identified as having special needs no longer under any circumstances needs the approval of the special education director of the area education agency to homeschool the child.

Children may dual enroll in the public school and receive special education services. Iowa Code § 299A.8; Iowa Admin. Code § 281-31.5.

Note: As you decide what kind of special needs services and therapy best meet your child’s needs, we want you to know that HSLDA Compassion Curriculum Grants are available to help with diagnostic services, therapy, curriculum, or other educational materials.