Connecticut law requires parents either to instruct their children or to ensure they receive instruction from others in specific subjects. If parents choose not to instruct their children, or see to their instruction, then they must enroll them in public school between the ages of 5 to 18 years—unless they are high school graduates or are receiving equivalent instruction elsewhere (e.g., private school or tutors).

If your child is 5 or 6 years old, you have the option to defer schooling for your child by exempting him or her from all compulsory attendance requirements for a year. To do this, you would need to personally appear at the school district office and sign an option form. This option should only be used if you have decided your child is not yet ready for school. If you plan to homeschool your child, you do not need to file this option form. If you go this route, be sure to have the superintendent's office mark the date your option form was received, sign or stamp it to indicate receipt, and give you a photocopy. 

If a child under age 18 has graduated from high school, a parent-issued diploma and transcript should be sufficient to demonstrate that the child has completed a secondary education. HSLDA believes that a parent-issued diploma and transcript should be sufficient to demonstrate that a child has completed a secondary education. If your child has turned 17, you can also opt your child out of future compulsory attendance requirements by filing the same option form.

Although compulsory attendance ends at age 18, there are some situations where you may want to continue homeschooling your child and keeping personal records after they turn 18, until they graduate. Such situations may include if your child plans to enlist in the military, apply to colleges, or wants to retain their eligibility as a “full-time student” for certain government benefits (like Social Security). If you are a member of HSLDA and would like to discuss if one of these situations applies to you, please contact us.