We are looking for a part-time Special Needs Educational Consultant. This person will have experience and understanding of homeschooling through high school and be able to guide parents and those considering home education in preparing their teens for post-graduation opportunities in college, employment, or the military.
What’s in It for You
- The opportunity to work with a dynamic team that serves our members and the homeschooling community while encouraging our co-laborers to excel in their roles and strengthening their personal walk with Christ.
- An opportunity to develop deep, authentic relationships and pray for our co-laborers and their families.
- A homeschool- and family-friendly work environment that values encouraging the best in every family.
- A flexible schedule, working 25–28 hours per week.
What You Will Be Doing
- Helping to identify and create ways that HSLDA's Educational Consultant Program can assist HSLDA in becoming the "go-to resource" for homeschooling.
- Traveling to, speaking at, and/or assisting HSLDA at regional, state, or international homeschool conferences and support group symposiums (as needed or by invitation).
- Developing brand-appropriate PowerPoint (or other media) presentations, updating workshop content, creating new workshop content, and generating handout materials on a variety of educational topics.
- Presenting workshops to members and non-members to provide parents with teacher training, teaching strategies, graduation guidelines, career development, best practices, and encouragement.
- Writing articles, updating brochures, adding website content, composing e-newsletters, providing blogs, or making social media posts (as requested), including on the Consultant Facebook page.
- Interacting with HSLDA's Facebook page and other social media venues.
- Developing social media resources, including creating short topic videos, presenting webinars, and/or Facebook Live sessions on topics of interest.
- Supporting and responding to members' needs by providing advice, answering questions, giving encouragement, and reviewing transcripts and other documents via email, phone call, and virtual or in-person interaction.
- Attending Quarterly Meetings on site to foster team spirit, interdepartmental cooperation, share resources, problem solve, and focus on 5-year goals.
- Assisting in the creation and promotion of Educational Consultant Program innovations for outreach and ministry to the homeschool community and its leaders.
- Assisting the Director of Outreach & Consulting Services with innovations and the creation of revenue-generating outreach and networking initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
What You Need for This Position
- A master's degree
- Working and/or practical knowledge of special needs (including experience with homeschoolers), preferably with work experience in a school, clinical, or private practice setting within the past 5–7 years
- Experience with Special Education child study as well as referral and responses to the intervention process.
- Knowledge and/or experience with the following areas:
- Speech/Language processing difficulties
- Child development/human development and/or neurodevelopment
- Psycho-educational testing/tests and measurements
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Processing difficulties
- Learning difficulties
- Reading difficulties/dyslexia
- Reactive attachment disorder
- Sensory integration disorder
- Rare genetic syndromes and other health impairments
- Brain research and educational pedagogy
- Supportive view of homeschooling and empathy for parents' various reasons for homeschooling.
- Self-motivation to work independently and still be a constructive team player.
- Excellent communication skills, pleasant telephone manner, pleasing social skills, and good writing skills.
- Ability to multi-task, stay flexible, and remain organized.
- Living a commutable distance from HSLDA's office in Purcellville, VA
- Must be a committed Christian and supportive of HSLDA's mission to help homeschooling families provide the best educational experience for their children.
Does this describe you? If so, please reach out to us! You can apply by sending your resume, with a cover letter explaining why you feel you’re a good professional and cultural fit, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to type “Special Needs Educational Consultant” in the subject line.