Our Legal Assistants provide a critical and rewarding role within HSLDA, partnering with an attorney to serve our member families. With many legislative changes happening in our country, our legal assistants keep up with legislation and assist in research for their respective attorney(s). As the first point of contact for our members, successful legal assistants have excellent phone and email communication skills. If you have strong interpersonal skills, the desire to learn, and a heart for advancing and defending homeschooling, this position may interest you.
What You Will Do
- Serve as the initial point of contact for members seeking answers and assistance: gather relevant facts, provide assistance and guidance, and provide timely follow-up until resolution is achieved
- Solve problems presented by members not requiring attorney input
- Handle high-volume calls in a professional manner that promotes the member's good will toward HSLDA and homeschooling
- Know and stay up-to-date with the homeschool laws of approximately ten states
- Detect, analyze, and monitor new legislation of interest in multiple active legislatures, communicate with legislators and state homeschool leaders, and ensure relevant, accurate information is posted on HSLDA's website
- Perform other clerical duties, including preparing routine correspondence, answering the phone, responding to emails, and researching various legal or policy issues
- File correspondence in written and electronic format: maintain log of phone calls, assist other legal assistance and attorneys as assigned, and understand and respect office policies and individual attorney protocols
What You Will Bring
- A bachelor's degree preferred
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Excellent customer service and phone skills
- Ability to maintain professional composure, even in emotional or stressful situations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Technical competency and capability; command of Microsoft Office and Salesforce a plus
- Ability to function well individually and on a team
- Ability to conduct and analyze research
- An investigative spirit and self-motivation
- Flexibility and the desire to learn and improve in a dynamic environment
- Being a committed Christian who supports HSLDA's mission
- The ability to work full time, on site at our Purcellville, VA office
- A minimum of two-year commitment requested
Does this describe you? If so, please reach out to us! You can apply by sending your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com with “Legal Assistant” in the subject line. Please feel free to pass this message along to anyone you know who might be interested in serving in the advancement of homeschooling.
A Bit About Us
HSLDA is a Christian non-profit advocacy organization that equips homeschooling families to provide the best educational experience for their children. We do this by caring for each member family and protecting and securing the future of homeschooling.
We are firmly committed to serving our members and the homeschool community.