HSLDA is looking for a highly creative Graphic and Web Designer to join our team. The ideal candidate excels in understanding process requirements, problem solving, visualizing solutions, and creating designs that are consistent with our brand.
The Graphic and Web Designer will work cross-functionally with our marketing and communications team to apply designs, layouts, graphics, and photos across marketing campaigns, websites, brochures, print materials, and more.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Design creative concepts across many channels including marketing, web, print material, and social media, fundraising, and email
- Create website designs using wireframes and/or visual mockups
- Partner with front-end developers to ensure accurate implementation
- Be a brand guardian—understand and apply HSLDA brand system consistently
- Collaborate with editors, project managers, and senior graphic designers to meet deadlines
- Show great attention to detail, with the ability to proof your work even on tight timelines
- Be curious, detailed, and thoughtful when executing designs
- Process and take action on creative feedback
Skills & Experience
- Extensive experience creating digital, print, and web designs
- Exceptional skill in the formal aspects of design, including typography, layout, hierarchy, proportion, and color
- Mastery of design processes and tools including Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Keynote, Microsoft Office
- A curious and thoughtful creative approach with a sharp eye for details
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously
- Humble yet able to defend design decisions based on use insights and solid design philosophy
- Preferred, but not required:
- Knowledge of front-end development (HTML and CSS)
- Experience with backend CMS platforms
- Copyright skills
- Digital illustration
A degree in graphic design or similar field with 4 years related experience designing for digital and print. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear. Employee must occasionally lift and or move objects up to 15 lbs.
- Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
Home School Legal Defense Association is located in Purcellville, Virginia, on the campus of Patrick Henry College. Only 70 minutes west of Washington, DC, 40 minutes from the DC Metrorail system, and 15 minutes from the Appalachian Trail, Purcellville provides a convenient access point to the DC metro area, northern Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia. Recreational opportunities abound nearby—the Blue Ridge Mountains, ski resorts, whitewater rafting, the 45-mile W&OD bike trail, and the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers.
This is full time, on-site position.
Candidate must be a committed Christian and support HSLDA's mission to help families homeschool successfully.
Applicants are invited to submit resumes and digital portfolios to email@example.com. Please make sure to type “Graphic and Web Designer” in the subject line.