Home School Legal Defense Association is seeking a front-end web developer to help create an engaging and excellent user experience for our website visitors and members.
Our ideal candidate will enjoy learning new skills as they creatively address the challenge of helping visitors get more value from our website, understand our advocacy work for homeschooling freedom, and the unique services HSLDA offers the homeschooling community.
Qualified candidates should be very familiar with front-end web development. Proficiency with HTML, CSS, and JS are required, as well as a high level of attention to detail.
A working knowledge of WordPress, Sitefinity, or other similar content management systems is a significant plus, as well as a minimal level of knowledge of website design and UX.
Responsibilities will include:
- Designing and building templates and pages with a focus on simplicity and good UX.
- Debugging problems in website templates and pages.
- Designing, building, and testing emails that will display well on many different mail readers.
- Providing customer support to end users who are having trouble using HSLDA's websites.
- Adhering to content production and development schedules.
- Keeping code tidy, following best practices, and using Git version-control.
- Adhering and contributing to our design system and brand guidelines.
- Being a student of the industry—always sharing learned insights, trends, and best practices.
- Proficiency with HTML, CSS, and JS.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and Figma, or a willingness to learn.
- A basic understanding of content management systems.
- A good foundation in typography, composition, color, and visual systems.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with software engineers and other highly technical staff.
- Hunger to learn and grow new skills in the rapidly developing web and mobile markets.
- Ability to stay organized and manage time well while doing tasks thoroughly.
HSLDA’s office is located in Purcellville, Virginia on the campus of Patrick Henry College. Only 70 minutes west of Washington, DC, 40 minutes from the DC Metro system, and 15 minutes from the Appalachian Trail, Purcellville provides a convenient access point to the DC Metro area, Northern Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia. Recreational opportunities abound nearby—Blue Ridge Mountains, ski resorts, whitewater opportunities, the 45-mile W&OD Bike Trail, Shenandoah River, and Potomac River.
This is a full-time, on-site position. Candidate must be a committed Christian and be supportive of HSLDA’s mission to help families homeschool successfully.
Send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with "Front-end Web Developer" indicated in the subject line. Please feel free to pass this message along to anyone you know who might be interested in serving the homeschooling community.