Home School Legal Defense Association is seeking a web designer to help create a better user experience for our members on our website. We want to help users get more value from our website, increase prospect conversion at a higher rate, and do a better job of marketing ourselves to the world.
This is a full-time, on-site position. Candidate must be a committed Christian and be supportive of HSLDA’s mission to help families homeschool successfully.
Qualified candidates should be very familiar with front-end web development and have at least a minimal level of knowledge of website design and UX. A high level of attention to detail is important for this position as well as proficiency with HTML, CSS, and JS. A working knowledge of WordPress, Sitefinity, or other similar content management systems is a significant plus. Duties will include, but are not limited to, creating and updating website templates and pages, reviewing website analytics to find data-driven improvement opportunities, and creating and updating email templates.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Designing and building templates and pages with a focus on simplicity and good UX.
- Debugging problems in website templates and pages.
- Designing, building, and testing emails that will display well on many different mail readers.
- Providing customer support to end users who are having trouble using HSLDA's websites.
- Adhering to content production and development schedules.
- Keeping code tidy, following best practices, and using Git version-control.
- Adhering and contributing to our design system and brand guidelines.
- Being a student of the industry—always sharing learned insights, trends, and best practices.
- Proficiency with HTML, CSS, and JS.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and Figma, or a willingness to learn.
- A basic understanding of content management systems.
- A good foundation in typography, composition, color, and visual systems.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with software engineers and other highly technical staff.
- Hunger to learn and grow new skills in the rapidly developing web and mobile markets.
- Ability to stay organized and manage time well while doing tasks thoroughly.
- High school diploma and 2–5 years of experience preferred.
HSLDA’s office is located in Purcellville, Virginia on the campus of Patrick Henry College. Only 70 minutes west of Washington, D.C., 40 minutes from the DC Metro system, and 15 minutes from the Appalachian Trail, Purcellville provides a convenient access point to the D.C. Metro area, Northern Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia. Recreational opportunities abound nearby—Blue Ridge Mountains, ski resorts, whitewater opportunities, the 45-mile W&OD Bike Trail, Shenandoah River, and Potomac River.
Send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with "Front-End Web Designer/Developer" indicated in the subject line. Please feel free to pass this message along to anyone you know who might be interested in serving the homeschooling community.