HSLDA is working hard to make our resources available in Spanish for the growing Hispanic homeschooling community. To reach that goal, we are looking for a bilingual editor to help with the accurate translation and upkeep of our Spanish content. This is a full-time position located at our Purcellville, VA office.
What you will do
- Read Spanish and English copy to detect errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax
- Rewrite or modify copy to clarify meaning and to conform to style and editorial policy
- Identify text in translations that can be shortened or reworked to fit specific character limits
- Assist in uploading new and managing existing Spanish web content
- Communicate English content updates to Spanish translators using Microsoft Word's track changes and comment functions
- Work closely with project manager, web content manager, and Spanish translators to strategize long-term content creation and maintenance
- Coordinate translation projects among translators to ensure production goals are met
- Work with translators to update in-house Spanish style guide as required
What you will need
- High proficiency in English reading comprehension
- Excellent Spanish writing skills and grasp of spelling, grammar, syntax, and style, primarily in Spanish, but also in English
- A native Spanish speaker's knowledge and understanding of various North, Central, and South American cultures and communication styles. Ability to connect with Hispanic subsets. Passionate about meeting the needs of the Hispanic community
- Strong language research skills for ensuring accurate terminology or equivalent term usage
- Comfortable editing and working within a content management system; Sitefinity experience preferred
- 1+ year of copyediting in either language preferred; 1+ year of translation editing preferred
- Proficiency with applying the principles of Real Academia Ortografía and Diccionario panhispánico de dudas to different kinds of writing
- Basic HTML familiarity preferred
- To be a committed Christian who supports HSLDA's mission
Does this describe you? If so, please reach out to us! You can apply by sending your resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bilingual Editor” in the subject line. Please feel free to pass this message along to anyone you know who might be interested in serving in the advancement of homeschooling.
HSLDA is a Christian non-profit advocacy organization located in Purcellville, VA that is experiencing rapid growth. We make homeschooling possible by protecting homeschooling families and equipping them to provide the best educational experience for their children.