Find Your State Homeschool Law

Choose your state or territory to get detailed information on how to withdraw from public school, homeschooling requirements including testing & mandatory subjects, plus resources and more.

Select a state or click on the map below.

No notice, Low regulationLow regulation Moderate regulation High regulation

Frequently Asked Questions

You should follow the law of the state in which you are physically present. This is true even if your legal residency is in another state and you are only living elsewhere temporarily (such as if you are an active member of the military completing a temporary assignment). This is because when you are physically present in a state, even temporarily, you are subject to that state’s laws—and often to the jurisdiction of its courts.

If you will be living in another state longer than a month while that state’s public schools are in session, HSLDA generally recommends that you comply with that state’s homeschool requirements. This general recommendation applies even if you or your spouse pay taxes, own property, or have employment in a different state.

If you’re an HSLDA member, please contact your state's legal team for specific advice about how state home education laws apply in your specific situation.
    No notice, low regulation: States that require no notification from parents to their local school district or any other governmental agency.
    States with low regulation: States that require parents to send a notification to their local school district.
    States with moderate regulation: States that require parents to send a notification, test scores, and/or professional evaluation of student progress to their local school district.
    States with high regulation: States that require parents to send notification or achievement test scores and/or professional evaluation, plus other requirements (i.e., curriculum approval by the state, teacher qualification of parents, or home visits by officials).

HSLDA has state-specific legal forms for our members. On our interactive legal map, click on your state and then scroll to the bottom of the page until you see a section titled Member-Only State Forms

Yes. And it can be a great option! Whether your child has a physical or mental disability or a specific learning disability, homeschooling may be the best option to help them thrive educationally. You may not be a special education expert, but you are an expert on your child!

Check out your state’s special needs provisions to see regulations that may apply to your homeschool. And please visit our Special Needs page to access free articles and other resources.