Suggested Curriculum Resources
The following resources are listed as a springboard for your research into home education. The list is not exhaustive by any means, and inclusion or exclusion of an item should not necessarily be construed to be an HSLDA endorsement or censorship of any resource. Some materials carried below may not be written from your family’s worldview or may include resource suggestions inconsistent with your worldview so, as always, parents are encouraged to use discernment in selecting materials appropriate for your family’s needs.
(includes Teaching Approaches)
- 100 Tips for Beginning Readers
- 101 Ways to Love a Book by Melissa Hart (illustrated by Mary Engelbreit). Try these instead of the standard book report—great for reading clubs.
- Book list: A printable list of 230-plus top favorites—classics, Christian, and “just plain, fun reading!” from Lisa Jacobson at Club31Women. (Older and younger children might like these, but the target range is about 4th-6th grade.)
- “Creating a Free Curriculum Using the Public Library; Part One: Language Arts” by Mary Hood
- Enhancing Your Child’s Language Skills
- Foundations in Writing—HSLDA Online Academy (8th grade)
- Four Tips for Teaching Middle School Writing by Janice Campbell
- “Homeschooling on a Shoestring—Spotlight On: Language Arts”
- “How We Teach Alphabetizing” By Marie Rippel
- “The Importance of Early Language Learning for Baby” By Marsha Peterson
- Prepare Your Middle School Writers for High School by Sharon Watson
- Read Aloud to Build Skills and Relationships
- Reading Eggs
- Reading Roadmaps comprehensive Scope & Sequence reading lists for K-12. (Center For Lit.)
- “Reading, Writing, and Reciting Poetry: Bringing Back Lost Arts!” By Maggie S. Hogan
- Scripps National Spelling Bee
- Summer Reading Teaching Home e-newsletter No. 374) Newsletter topics include read-alouds, selecting books, a Bible read-a-thon, reading clubs, and teaching your child to read.
Science and STEM
Also check the Suggested Resources page.
Comments/Suggestions | Disclaimer | Advertising