Share this page:

Issues Library—State & Local

Work Permits

Homeschool families should be aware that young people under 18 are subject to child labor laws. In many cases, these laws restrict the numbers of hours and days minors may work, and the types of jobs they may do. Although employers are responsible for ensuring that they are complying with child labor laws, it is important for parents to be aware of state requirements as well.

Many states require minors to obtain a work permit or employment certificate, which the employer keeps on file. In some cases, parents are authorized to issue work permits, but in many states, this is the local school district’s responsibility.

HSLDA maintains a summary of each state’s child labor/work permit requirements, which is available on the members-only portion of our website. To view these summaries, visit the state laws map, and click on the image or the name of the state you wish to research.

 Related HSLDA Articles

Summaries of Work Permit Laws
(Member’s-only resource)

HSDLA’s Homeschooling Thru High School—Work Permits

Washington Times Op-ed—Getting Permits Might Take Work
November 9, 2008