Hi homeschooling moms!
Today, the lighthouse -- The only "high rise" on the island and the oldest standing lighthouse in NC, affectionately called "Old Baldy". Although the Cape Fear Lighthouse now serves the island at its east end, Old Baldy is still a well-loved and prominent day marker for vessels navigating the Cape Fear River channel.
We're going to climb the 108 steps to get a panoramic view of the island. Very, very steep. As we're climbing, I'm not going to .....look.... down......
At the top! Here are a few things I see:
* The majestic, unpredictable and beautiful Atlantic ocean ~
* Lush marshes -- I'm picturing river pilots navigating and finding lookout posts....
* A lovely marina and dock (no fast food whatsoever) -- one or two cafes ~
* Home of an incredible variety of plant and animal life -- The cutest little loggerhead turtles hatch on the island.
* Site of the fierce battle where the infamous Steade Bonnet was captured ~
* Place where Fort Holmes stood during the Civil War ~
* An area where the schooner Minnie wrecked in the Frying Pan Shoals ~ Legend has it that surfmen from the Cape Fear Lifesaving Station bravely rowed for hours through tumultuous waves to save them.
* A peaceful and unspoiled place ~
Whenever I think of lighthouses, I can't help but think of the lighthouse keeper, too. I wonder what kind of life Cap'n Charlie (Captain Charles Swan) and his family had.....
They had to have homeschooled! There were only 3 cottages for the lighthouse keepers after all. ... We're climbing back down...easier than the ascent...
My prayer today is: "Oh, Lord -- please make our homes like lighthouses in this dark and scary world. Let our homes be places where people can take refuge from the storms of life -- where family and friends will find a place of safety and love, a place where Your Holy Spirit abounds.... a place where the gospel is lifted high and where Christ is honored. Lord, we need your help and rely completely on You. In Jesus' name ~ Amen."
Psalm 46:1 ~ God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Have a wonderful day!
Keep being a great mom ~