Whether you have a teen who is a voracious reader or one who is reluctant to pick up a book, you may be looking for book suggestions to keep your teen reading, especially during the summer months.
These reading lists provide selections that introduce your teens to interesting ideas, characters, and plots. An added benefit of reading is that it helps students to become better writers. Your teens may enjoy chatting about the book, so consider reading some of the book selections along with them.
(Some books on the lists may not be suitable for all teens so exercise discernment and keep your teen’s maturity level in mind.)
- Free Glencoe Literature Study Guides (author background and summaries of the books are provided)
- Great Book list from The Well-Trained Mind
- Patrick Henry College’s reading list
- The College Board’s 101 Great Books Recommended for College-Bound Readers
- The Pursuit and Pleasure of Reading (HSLDA Homeschooling thru High School newsletter containing links to teen reading lists)
Reference books containing teen reading lists:
- The High School Handbook by Mary Schofield
- The Ultimate Guide for Homeschooling Teens by Debra Bell
- Arco Reading List for College Bound Students (this book includes the reading lists from many colleges)
I hope these lists encourage your teens to pick a few good books to read for pleasure over the next several months.
Has anyone discovered other reading lists that you would like to share?