As most of you know, the opening match of the 2014 FIFA World Cup kicked off today! The excitment began with the first match between Brazil and Croatia. Although this event isn't geared towards homeschoolers, we're here to show you that soccer and homeschooling can go hand-in-hand.
Since Brazil and Croatia are the countries participating in the first match (and since Brazil is also the country hosting the FIFA 2014 World Cup), we've decided to bring you some fun Brazilian and Croatian themed activities and recipes to help you really enjoy this season!
Here are a few fun facts about Brazil:
- Brazil is the largest country in South America and covers 3 time zones
- Around 60% of the Amazon Rainforest is located in Brazil
- Brazil is the fifth largest country in the world by both land area and population
- The HSLDA Blog's first blog post was written about a homeschooler from Brazil. Go check out her amazing story here.
Here are a few fun facts about Croatia:
- The White House was built partially using stones from the Island of Brač
- Croatia is the homeland of the world renowned traveler Marco Polo? He was born on the island of Korčula in 1254
- The first tie came from Croatia? The cravat was part of the Croatian national costume and was later copied by the French as a new fashion.
There are so many fun activities and World Cup games out there to play and engage your kids in that we couldn't just pick a few. So here is a broader resource lists for fun activities and games to play following along with the World Cup: Football and World Cup - Teaching and Resources. Plus some more Brazil themed World Cup Recipes.
Throughout the rest of the World Cup I encourage you take time to enjoy the game with your family, while intergrating some fun and educational activities to keep your kids thinking through the summer. Also be sure to check out HSLDA's This Summer Pinterest board jam packed with fun recipes, activities, and fun events to do with your family this Summer.