Submission Dates: January 1 through February 1 2013
Students must submit a piece of artwork which uses one of the words listed below as its inspiration.
Category 1: Interesting (Homeschoolers* ages 7 to 10 as of January 1, 2013)
Category 2: Inspiring (Homeschoolers* ages 11 to 14 as of January 1, 2013)
Category 3: Intriguing (Homeschoolers* ages 15 to 19 as of January 1, 2013)
* For the purposes of this contest, an eligible student must have been home educated in the past year and received a majority of his or her education in the past year through home education.
* The staff and immediate family members of HSLDA and all related entities (PRO, HSF, PHC) are not eligible to participate in contests sponsored by HSLDA or any of the related entities.
It is our goal to select themes that leave plenty of room for your imagination and interpretation. We want you to come up with your own idea of what best depicts the idea you've chosen to focus upon.
We do ask that your entry be original and appropriate for public display to our homeschooling audience (which is not meant to limit your creativity or choice of subject; for example, you are free to choose a serious or deep subject, such as suffering). We look forward to seeing what you come up with!
- Flat, two-dimensional, artwork less than one-quarter-inch thick, not including matte or frame (drawing, painting, mixed media, etc.)
- Completely original hand-done artwork (no tracing, photography, or computer-generated artwork; however a student may look at a photograph or picture for ideas).
- $10.00—HSLDA Member Discounted Entry Fee
- $15.00—Regular Entry Fee
Final, Important Notes
- One entry per person.
- Entries must include a completed and signed entry form.
- Entries must include an entry fee (only check or money order)
- Preliminary entries must include an 8-inch by 10-inch color photograph, 8½-inch by 11-inch color copy, or 8½-inch by 11-inch color digital print of the artwork. Preliminary entries will not be returned. Do not send the original artwork for the preliminary round—only submissions in one of the above media will be accepted.
- Finalists will be contacted by the contest coordinator after the first round of judging, and must then send in the original artwork which was presented in the preliminary entry. Finalists will be instructed on how to submit their artwork for the final round.
- Preliminary entries should be mailed to:
Attn: Art Contest
PO Box 3000
Purcellville, VA 20134
For those pieces that make it to the final round:
- All work must be matted and/or framed with a simple and lightweight matte or frame and have wire or other hanging hardware attached ready for hanging.
- Maximum size including matting and framing is 48 by 48 inches. There is no minimum size.
- It is highly recommended that you use plexi-glass rather than glass in the framing. We have received damaged artwork before from glass shattering in the mail. HSLDA cannot be held responsible for artwork damaged in the mail.
- Preliminary entries will be received beginning January 1, 2013.
- Preliminary judging will take place in mid-February.
- Finalists in each category will be selected and notified by letter and/or email in early March.
- Final entries from finalists must be received by March 19, 2013.
- Final judging will take place in late March or early April.
- Winners will be notified by letter, and/or email or phone and announced on HSLDA's contest website and e-lert service by late April, 2013.
- Final entries will be on loan to HSLDA and will be displayed at HSLDA for one year. After that year, the artwork will be returned to the entrant.
- A panel of judges selected by HSLDA will judge both the preliminary and final rounds.
- Pieces will be judged on originality, creativity, and adherence with the theme.
- The decision of the judges is final.
Prizes for Each Category
|Honorable Mentions (2)
- Proceeds from the contest will go to the Home School Foundation’s Special Needs Children Fund.
- HSLDA has the right to use reproduction of entered artwork at its discretion.
- All judgments are final and interpretations of the guidelines are at HSLDA’s sole discretion.
Please contact the Contest Coordinator at email@example.com with any questions.